News and Letters

Headteacher's Message - Friday 22nd March

Picture of VLE Admin
Headteacher's Message - Friday 22nd March
by VLE Admin - Friday, 22 March 2024, 9:44 AM

In a busy week, I have to start by saying a huge “well done” to all of our Year 10 students for their collective approach to their examinations this week – they have been immaculate and impressive in every way.

Thank you to all the parents and carers who completed our annual Parent and Care Survey. We had over 240 responses which is just under a quarter of our families overall – a snapshot but useful data nonetheless.

In the text box section there were as usual a multitude of positive comments and I won’t list them here but they did reflect a high-achieving school with a tangible ethos, highly committed staff and a broad and varied extra-curricular and enrichment programme.

There are, of course, aspects of the school which parents and carers would like us to develop and the common ones were:

• Further development of communication channels between school and home
  • Explanation of the rationale behind the Scholars’ Programme
  • Maintaining high expectations of behaviour and student conduct while also ensuring that systems are clearly understood by all
  • More students accessing STARS trips and activities so that as many students as possible are recognised for their effort and commitment in school

We will use this feedback in our planning moving forward.

The data overall read:

AgreeDisagreeDon’t Know/Not Applicable
My child is happy at school 83% 15% 2%
My child feels safe at school 83% 12% 5%
The school makes sure its pupils are well behaved 70% 21% 9%
My child has been bullied and the school dealt with the bullying quickly and effectively 28% 16% 56%
The school makes me aware of what my child will learn during the year 48% 45% 7%
When I have raised concerns with the school they have been dealt with properly 62% 18% 19%
My child has SEND, and the school gives them the support they need to succeed 14% 7% 79%
The school has high expectations for my child 76% 16% 8%
My child does well and is making progress at school 81% 13% 6%
The school lets me know how my child is doing 80% 14% 6%
There is a good range of subjects available to my child at school 90% 8% 2%
The school’s use of ICT prepares my child for further study and employment 43% 17% 40%
My child can take part in clubs and activities at school 87% 6% 7%
I would recommend this school to another parent. (yes or no) 86% 14% n/a

Please note that Strongly Agree and Agree and Strongly Disagree and Disagree are merged for the purposes of this table.

Finally, I have to say another “well done” to our Year 8 and 9 students who participated in the Magistrate Mock Trial Competition at Oxford Magistrates’ Court on Saturday. They have spent months preparing for this event and conducted themselves quite brilliantly – we are very proud of them indeed.

Please do keep an eye out at the end of next week for our end of term newsletter which is already looking like it’s going to be a great read.