Site news

Interviewing Michael Morpurgo for the Story Museum; Report by Hollie, Year 8

Picture of VLE Admin
Interviewing Michael Morpurgo for the Story Museum; Report by Hollie, Year 8
by VLE Admin - Monday, 9 February 2015, 3:25 PM

Michael Morpurgo being interviewed

As a member of the Oxford Writer's Squad, I was recently offered the opportunity to do a filmed interview with famous children's author Michael Morpurgo at the Story Museum in Oxford. The interview will form part of a 'Top Secret' exhibition taking place at the museum later this year.

The day started at 9am, with a bus ride into Oxford to the museum. The staff were very welcoming, and soon my worries about being filmed were beginning to ease. As the other interviewees and I discussed questions and our favourite books, my confidence grew. And so when we were finally called through to where the filming was taking place, I felt more prepared.

The room was decorated beautifully with the Oxford Skyline formed from fairy lights, and a couple of Morpurgo's books stacked up on a table. He was sat regally on a throne, while we sat on small benches and tree stumps.

As it turned out, he wasn't the scary man I was worried he could be. In fact, he was incredibly nice and hospitable, and throughout the interview was very talkative and humorous. The filming itself wasn't as bad as I'd imagined it to be either, and looking back on it, it was practically painless.

Hollie with Michael Morpurgo

So in conclusion, the interview was fantastic, inspirational, and everyone was very approachable. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and should a similar opportunity come about in the future, I would definitely accept. As someone passionate about writing, it was great to meet such a prolific and celebrated writer, and what has inspired him to write over 100 books.

- Hollie, Year 8