Site news

PiXL Edge Conference

Picture of VLE Admin
PiXL Edge Conference
by VLE Admin - Monday, 18 May 2015, 10:24 AM

Recently we were asked to provide some Year 7 students to attend the PiXL main conference at Westminster. Our Year 7 students have been part of the PiXL Edge programme pilot scheme this year, a programme that helps build and recognise the skills of leadership, resilience, organisation, initiative and communication.

Six students travelled down with me as early morning commuters and spent the day persuading head teachers from around the country to sign up to 'the edge' programme.

Not only were they fantastic ambassadors for Wallingford School but they also turned out to be accomplished at sales and marketing! They even received a round of applause from the 1000 strong audience, who were so impressed with them as young people.

Well done to Sam, Georgia, Danny, Kirsty, Max and Bethan!

- Mr Leeds

"On Wednesday 13th May we went to the Methodist Central Hall in Westminster. We were there to advertise PiXL Edge to head teachers. We were introduced to the head teachers in the morning meeting and then we went to our stations. Lots of people came to learn more about PiXL Edge. We handed out our fliers and explained how the programme worked. We used our initiative skills to hand out the fliers and explain that PiXL Edge not only helped us all as students, but also others in the wider community. When the head teachers were in meetings we caught up with homework and revision.

We explained the PiXL Edge to a second group of head teachers, this time we had a few surprises like getting a round of applause when introduced and then met the head teacher from Educating Yorkshire. He was very impressed by our persuasive skills.

It felt good helping a huge organisation like PiXL launch their new project. It also helped my communication and leadership skills. I hope we helped PiXL to get more people joining the project."

- Danny, Year 7

"We went to the Methodist Central Hall in London on Wednesday 13th May to advertise the PiXL Edge. I improved greatly on my skills including persuasion, confidence and communication. I walked around during the breaks between meetings asking people to take a leaflet and answering as many questions as possible. I improved my confidence when I answered questions from a really kind head teacher; she said I was very confident. I was extremely proud!

I knew I had improved my persuasion skills after I had spoken to some of the head teachers and they signed the slip to say that they would like their school to join PiXL Edge, to give their students 'the edge'.

In the break between the two halves of the afternoon assembly I met a famous teacher from the TV show 'Educating Yorkshire'! I met the head teacher and even spoke to him, answering all his questions and handing a flier to him and his assistant. When the time came to move on to some other people, I asked for a photo.

I thoroughly enjoyed my trip to London. I had no clue that there would be that many head teachers. I found it to be a great trip and experience. Meeting all the important teachers and head teachers is something I will never forget!"

- Samuel, Year 7

"I really, really enjoyed this trip. It was great fun and it inspired me to do more. The school were really supportive of this and knowing I have made a change is a heartfelt feeling. I definitely improved my confidence by talking to large groups of people and it felt good to be part of the PiXL Team! I was in a team with Kirsty and Bethan. Kirsty explained about the five PiXL skills and what they meant to us, Bethan explained the website and how easy it was to manage, and I explained what the project meant to us, what we did and how we did it. We covered everything there was to know about PiXL Edge and got lots of sign-up sheets filled in!

We experienced lots of exciting and new things on the way and I am so happy my contribution towards the project was noticed!"

- Georgia, Year 7