Site news

Year 9 Race for Life

Picture of VLE Admin
Year 9 Race for Life
by VLE Admin - Monday, 29 June 2015, 2:58 PM

At the start of this year, I wanted to run the Race For Life to raise money for Cancer Research UK in memory of my Grandma who sadly lost her battle against cancer.

I wanted more people to get involved because more people participating meant more money could be raised. So I had the idea of getting my whole year group together and holding our very own Race For Life. Last Friday I made this idea become reality.

Students dressed in pink in aid of Race for Life group photo of 9JL before Race for Life

It was a very successful day and we worked together as a year group to raise over £2500.

We had many.....interesting costumes (Ms. Kershaw) and Mr. Lee enjoyed bringing out his feminine side.

To start the afternoon we all participated in a Zumba warm up and had many laughs (thanks Yaz Light).

Year 9 Zumba before Race for Life 5k Year 9 student warm up for 5k run with zumba

We then set off in the boiling heat to start our 5k journey. Everyone pushed themselves and crossed the finish line to receive their medal.

I couldn't have achieved this without the help of my family and friends, Mrs. Paterson and Mr. Lee. And of course Year 9 for supporting me with my crazy idea!

- Naomi, Year 9

Year 9 students running 5k for Race for Life Students crossing the finish line for Race for Life