Site news

SEND Parents’ Forum Year 6 Welcome Evening

Picture of VLE Admin
SEND Parents’ Forum Year 6 Welcome Evening
by VLE Admin - Thursday, 9 July 2015, 12:37 PM

Parents at SEN Forum Parents at SEN Forum

We were delighted to see so many of our incoming families this week for their introductory SEND forum hosted by Mrs Monaghan, Teaching Assistants and some of our current families. The new families were able to ask lots of questions and find out about secondary school life. Ms Dudding joined us, as Head of Year 7 (to be in September) and Mr Eales, our SEND Governor and we all enjoyed a little glass of wine too.

Student nad teaching assistant at SEN Forum

Here are our frequently asked questions:

Q Where can my child go at breaks if he/ she is vulnerable?

A The SEND base, M1, is always open and supervised by teaching assistants. Homework can be done, board games played etc. Mrs Monaghan runs a lunch club - students are able to eat with her in M1.

Q How is homework supported?

A There is a homework club on Tues and Weds each week from 3.15 to 4pm in M1. Students are supported by a teaching assistant. Homework can also be done at breaks.

Q What happens if my child gets lost in school?

A Staff and older students keep an eye out for new Year 7s and will always guide them to the right place.

Q Will my child miss lessons to have interventions?

A Yes, but wherever possible we do not take pupils out of Engish, Maths, Languages or PE lessons.

Q Who should I contact if I have a concern?

A Mrs Monaghan is happy for parents to phone her at any time. Your child's form tutor is another good point of contact.