Site news

Re-Flex Canoe Trip

Picture of VLE Admin
Re-Flex Canoe Trip
by VLE Admin - Thursday, 16 July 2015, 9:02 AM

Student and teacher canoeing

We got dropped off by Miss Dow on Thursday, and were met by a man called Andy. He gave us the safety equipment for canoeing, and we got into pairs for the canoes. We set off and I had to go with Mr Smith. He had to steer at the back of the canoe and I was at the front. I was the engine, and had to be quick and pacey. When we were drifting down the river I saw a lightening blue streak in the air, and there it was the famous king fisher. It was really quick, and Miss Dow said whoever saw one first would win a prize! (I got a malteaser chocolate bar).

I got really good at the canoeing. Mr Smith and I were a really good pair, and managed to keep at the front for most of the journey. I found it really interesting, and I was glad that I picked Mr Smith because he was quick too. He was the right person to go with, because he had good stamina and agility, so it meant it was easier for us to keep up front. I enjoyed it, and it was really educational because I learnt about the wildlife.

Students canoeing Students running into river

It was really relaxing and nice to explore new places. We got to camp after six hours of canoeing through the lovely stream and the sun was beginning to set. I felt really tired and exhausted but then we had to set up the campsite. We had to make a fire and get the tents up. I shared a tent with Mitch and Charlie. It took a long time to put up, and we started getting a bit frustrated because it was hard. We asked for a bit of help from Miss Calvert and Miss Gration, and I helped them to put their tent up too. After we put our tents up we got some food and a drink. We all sat down and had a nice group chat, and then we had 10 minutes of madness. Then we went to bed. All I could hear was Mr Smith snoring all night. He was really annoying and I thought he sounded like a dying whale. Then we went to Miss Gration's and Miss Calvert's tent to see what they were doing. They sent us back to our tents. We didn't want to sleep yet, so I started to watch Top Gear on my phone before I went to sleep. I couldn't get to sleep for the whole time because I kept being woken up by strange sounds.

Students chopping wood for campfire Student cooking breakfast on campsite

I checked my phone, and it was three o'clock! I nudged Charlie, and then he woke up. I couldn't get to sleep, because I could hear loads of birds chirping, and dogs barking. Then I kind of dosed off. The next morning when I woke up it was all bright. I was shattered and I couldn't feel my legs I was that tried. Then I had my tablet and had a bacon roll and a nice drink then I got changed. That made me feel a bit better, so I wanted to get canoeing again. I went with Mitch and Jess this time round and we canoed down to Mapledurham and got an ice cream. When we got back to the campsite, we all worked together to pack everything away, and then Miss Dow came to pick us up and we all went back to school.

- King, Year 9

Students canoeing