Site news

The CILIP Carnegie Medal

Picture of VLE Admin
The CILIP Carnegie Medal
by VLE Admin - Monday, 5 June 2017, 9:44 AM

The CILIP Carnegie & Kate Greenaway Children's Book Awards

The CILIP Carnegie Medal is awarded annually to the writer of an outstanding book written in English for children and young people. This is the award's 80th year.

Here are the eight authors on the 2017 shortlist (click on them to view their shortlisted book). We have copies of all eight books here in the Blackstone Library for you to enjoy.

Frank Cottrell BoyceZana FraillonBonnie-Sue HitchcockGlenda Millard

Mal PeetPhilip ReeveRuta SepetysLauren Wolk

Which one do you think should win the Carnegie Medal this year?

The official winner will be announced on Monday 19th June 2017.

Andrew CarnegieThe Carnegie Medal was established in 1936, in memory of the great Scottish-born philanthropist, Andrew Carnegie (1835-1919). Carnegie was a self-made industrialist who made his fortune in steel in the USA. His experience of using a library as a child led him to resolve that "if ever wealth came to me that it should be used to establish free libraries."

Carnegie set up more than 2800 libraries across the English speaking world and, by the time of his death, over half the library authorities in Great Britain had Carnegie libraries.

First awarded to Arthur Ransome for 'Pigeon Post', the winner receives a golden medal and £500 worth of books to donate to a library of their choice.

Picture of VLE Admin
Re: The CILIP Carnegie Medal
by VLE Admin - Monday, 19 June 2017, 3:06 PM

And the winner is...

Ruta Sepetys, with her fictionalised account of the worst maritime disaster in history: Salt to the Sea.

Ruta Sepetys

Salt to the Sea49-year-old music manager turned novelist Ruta Sepetys wins the CILIP Carnegie Medal for the first time for Salt to the Sea (Puffin), a New York Times-bestselling novel that explores the events leading up to the sinking of the Wilhelm Gustloff, the worst maritime disaster in history in which over 9,000 people, mainly refugees, perished. The daughter of a Lithuanian refugee, with a family connection to the disaster, Ruta spent three years researching the book, walking the path of some of those refugees who saw the boat as their salvation but who ultimately lost their lives.

Ruta Sepetys, who was previously shortlisted for the Carnegie Medal in 2012 for Between Shades of Grey, commented: "As a writer, I am drawn to underrepresented stories and history in hiding. I spend a lot of time pondering the question - why do some parts of history penetrate our collective consciousness while others remain hidden? When I began work on the novel years ago, I had no way of knowing that when it was published, we would be amidst a refugee crisis. Then and now, my thoughts return to the children." She added: "History allows us to examine decisions. Yes, history can be full of sadness and pain but it also shines light on hope, freedom, courage and the miraculous nature of the human spirit. History divided us, but through reading we are united in study and remembrance. That is the power of books."