Site news

Year 10 Work Experience

Picture of VLE Admin
Year 10 Work Experience
by VLE Admin - Friday, 29 April 2016, 1:39 PM

Issy at Le Manoir

For my work experience I worked at Le Manoir aux Quat'Saisons. I chose this work placement because I am taking food technology and would love to become a chef in later life. I thought working at Le Manoir would give me the opportunity to understand what it is like to work in a professional kitchen.

At Le Manoir I measured out ingredients and separated egg yolks and whites, which are used for lot of different elements in the desserts. For example egg whites can be used for meringues. I also made salted almonds which required me to mix all the ingredients in a large bowl and roast them in the ovens. I enjoyed piping the icing in between the macaroon shells. You needed to be careful not to over or under fill them.

At the end of the working week I felt much more tired than I would for a school week. Also my feet ached a lot after standing around all day.

This work experience has opened an opportunity for me to go back during school holidays to improve on my cooking skills and also learn more about the kitchen.

- Issy, Year 10

Amy-Jo at The Flower & Gift Studio James at Oxfordshire Fire & Rescue

Last week, I worked with Fir Tree Junior School in Wallingford. I specifically worked with Mr Wilcox and Mrs Harris who taught Year 3. This was great for me, because I would love to teach primary age children when I'm older.

My first day at Fir Tree was great! It was good to be back at my old primary school and to see familiar faces. I arrived on time and was asked to print off and cut up some sheets for the Roman project they would be doing. When the pupils arrived in class, they all had to sit on the carpet and be welcomed back. And then we set off on a very long and exhausting day of writing and reading.

On my second day I was even more terrified than the first because I knew how scary it was being looked at by 30 little faces. Before the children came in I was asked to stick some sheets into their book. During lunch I sat in the staff room (which was strange because I imagined monsters to be in there) and listened to all of their gossip. After lunch we had PE in the rain and then French. Très bien.

On Wednesday we had a very quiet day of reading and writing. I enjoyed spending some time with a girl who was struggling with maths and I worked with her for the rest of the lesson which was fun.

Thursday was my favourite day because we carried on with our Roman project and made coins out of clay. Later on I played with my class in the playground. We invented a new game called Zombie which involved me being chased a lot. Constant running. Very tiring.

On my last day, I spent time in the library with groups of four, looking at countries that had been taken over by the Romans. More Zombie at lunchtime – exhausting. Afterwards, we finished with a music lesson. Thirty small children playing recorders. My ears are still hurting!

Reflecting back on this, my experience at Fir Tree School has helped me to realise what I would like to do when I am older. Overall I would recommend the experience that I and fellow pupils have undergone, because it can allow you to understand what you like and don't like and what you would be interested in continuing after your school life.

- Ben, Year 10

Lydia at Active Paws Fitness & Activity Centre Nisha at Westgate House

Last week I had my work experience placement at a company called GTI Media. GTI is a publishing company which produces publications aimed at school leavers. For example, in the publication The Top 100 Employers for School Leavers is about apprenticeships, universities and the best employers for apprentices.

I chose GTI because I am interested in English and publishing. I had heard that previous students found their time there really helpful. That, plus the fact that it is nearby.

On my first day, I was told to research how to do an interview and chose the top tips for completing one. I also had to look at interview write ups and analyse what types of questions were asked in order to get certain information.

On day two, I interviewed an employee at GTI about their career and then I had to write it up. I then had to complete research on why people would want to go to university or not, and I wrote an article on the pros and cons of going to university and completing an apprenticeship. I also compared them.

On day three, I had to look at GTI's Target Careers website and compare it to their competitors. I had to identify certain things within each website (i.e. who it is aimed at, what is useful, are there any changes you would make etc.). I also went to a meeting where we looked at different logo designs.

On day four I did some research into the 'rules' of writing news. I learnt that every news article has a structure and once I identified the structure I could actually see it whilst I read different articles. I then had to study a news story on Apple refusing the FBI their encryption code because they wanted to protect their clients' privacy. I then had to identify other possible news stories witin that one (e.g. FBI couldn't beat Apple's encryption code etc.). I then wrote a features article based on Steve Jobs.

On the fifth day I had to look through 100 Most Popular Employers for School Leavers and identify reasons why school students should read it and why teachers should recommend it to them. I then wrote two emails, one to students encouraging them to read the publication, and one to teachers encouraging them to get their students to read it. I had to adapt each email to fit the target audience.

My favourite activity was the interview with the employee. I found it really interesting learning about her previous career as a journalist (something which I am interested in). I also liked writing the interview up as well.
I quite liked the work experience week because you had more independence than you have at school. It is also far more flexible in the work and breaks.

I learnt many skills which an editor would need e.g. reviewing websites and recognising appropriate target audiences (which would also be useful in English, especially speech writing).

Overall, I found the week amazing and would recommend it to anyone who is interested in English or publishing.

- Laura, Year 10

Will at wallingford tyres

Last week, I worked with Wallingford Tyres and Exhausts, a company that changes tyres and fixes punctures.

My first two days at Wallingford Tyres included learning how to change a tyre on a wheel and balance it with weights. On Thursday and Friday I was shown tracking to make sure the tyres go in the same direction.

I was tasked writing this blog and now at the time of writing I have realised that I miss going to work as going to work suits me more than school and not having to wear the same uniform every day. At work you can just be yourself whereas at school even though you get told to be yourself everyone knows you can't or you get judged.

Anyway since going to Wallingford Tyres I have learnt new skills that I will be able to use later in life.

- Will, Year 10

20160414 125328 copy web480

For my work experience, I worked in Keri the Florist in Wallingford. I chose this placement because it sounded interesting and enjoyable, as well as being different from jobs I had thought about doing in the future.

Throughout the week I did a range of jobs, from unpacking and labelling new stock, to making a wedding garland on Friday. I learnt about how they priced their flowers to make a profit, all about the management of orders, stock supplies and, naturally, the importance of good customer service!

Everyday I helped display the garden ornaments outside the shop and made gift boxes for the flower bouquets. I also watched hand tied bouquets and sympathy baskets being made which was really interesting. On Tuesday, I cleaned the glass cabinet which keeps the flowers cool, and then spent Wednesday conditioning all the flowers. This was hard work, but fun. I was very tired afterwards though.

My favourite day was Thursday because I got to make a flower pillow and I was very proud of it! It took me most of the afternoon and I felt like a proper florist.

Keri and her team were really kind and lovely and ensured I had a brilliant time. They even gave me a little card and present on my birthday!

I will definitely miss working in the florist as I liked being on my feet all day and being allowed to go out for lunch. Work experience was much more fun than a week of school!

- Sophia, Year 10